Friday, July 25, 2008

The Big 3-0!

Yes, it is true. I am officially no longer in my twenties. I actually thought it would be much more traumatic, but I have had several people tell me that their 30s were their best years. At any rate, I had a great birthday!
It actually started the night before, with my in-laws. After all the festivities of the 24th, we went out to dinner and had cake and presents afterwards. I got some craft money (who couldn't use more of that?) and my sister-in-law, Jennie, the resident amateur photographer, surprised me with a darling picture of my little Lily. She had taken the picture when they were watching her during our move, so I hadn't seen it yet. I seriously got a little emotional when I saw it. It just captures her personality so well. What do you think?


We had a delicious carrot cake (with walnuts, the only true way to eat it, yum!).


We then watched some fireworks and drove home late.

The next day, my aunt, Judy, and I started the morning early by going to a taping of the local morning show, Good Things Utah. We were on tv a couple of times, and we got lots of goodies. I know it is cheesy, but I have always wanted to go do this, so if you also have wanted to do this, just go. It was a lot of fun. Here is the station logo. We had to wait outside for a few minutes before going in.


Here is Angel Shannon, a local personality, getting ready for the cooking segment. They made a really tasty looking shrimp fettucine.


Here is the kid sitting next to me.

He was a 15 year old published author. He and his mom drove down from Idaho, so that he could be featured on the show. He wrote a book called [you know, I can't remember.] It sounded kind of interesting. Wow, I am twice his age and have never even been close to getting something published! I better get busy.

Me and the hosts of Good Things Utah. When the taping was done, we were able to go up and get pictures with "the girls." The little kids are Nicea's daughters, who were on set that day as well.


Me and Judy by the channel 4 logo in the studio. She doesn't pose for pictures very often, but "since it's your birthday," she agreed.


When we got back from the show, we went to one of my favorite places, Siegried's. It is a German deli in downtown Salt Lake. This is a picture of Lily and me waiting in line. That arrow is in a good place to point to the birthday girl. Luckily the Soup Nazi wasn't there.


My brothers, Tommy and Eddie, were also in town, and came to lunch with us.

Our little family. Lily and Matt would not pose for very long, so this is the best we could do. Don't you love all the German groceries in the background?


Me enjoying my spaetzle, a German noodle with gravy. Matt thinks they are just about the grossest thing he has ever tried, but there is just something so delicious about them. I think I would be happy to have just a plate of these. I have a Wolfgang Puck cookbook that has a recipe. I won't post it here, but part of the technique calls for pushing dough through a colander. Yum!

I was blissfully taking a birthday nap (very rare these days) when I was rudely awakened by a crown being shoved on my head and balloons being showered over me :). I was then showered with gifts(more craft stuff and a trip to Colorado to see my sister).


Later that evening, Judy and I went to the Conference Center downtown to see the Osmond Family and the Tabernacle Choir in concert. Judy works at the Church Office Building and has some connections, so we got really good seats. Let's just say that Elder Robert D. Hales was sitting a few rows behind us! The concert was a lot of fun. I didn't get any pictures, since cameras weren't allowed, but here is one from the Deseret News. (I have a story about Donny from my mission, but that is a blog for another time.)
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700246198,00.html

Okay, this blog is starting to be all about food! But these are special treats I only get once a year. After the concert, the boys stayed up to give me this strawberry pie (my favorite!!!) with candles on top. The perfect end to a great day.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Fun b-day!! My 30th is next year!! We are getting old! I LOVE that pic of Lily--you'll have to get us a copy of the original!