Sunday, September 2, 2007

An Attitude of Gratitude


I think the theme for me this week is GRATITUDE and having more of it. Recently, each week for our Monday Spiritual Nights (aka FHE) with the girls we have been taking a value from President Hinckley's book, Standing for Something, and had a lesson on it. This past week our lesson was on gratitude. Rachel, who was teaching the lesson, suggested keeping a gratitude journal, a concept I have heard since high school, and something I have done on occasion. The basic idea is that each day, you write down 5 things that you are grateful for. When she talked about it, I thought, "That is something I need to do more of." And then, today in Relief Society, our lesson was on gratitude and service. Maybe the Lord is trying to tell me something. So, in keeping with the spirit of the week, here are five things I am grateful for today:
1-A husband who helps get the kid ready: Matt got up early today, never an easy thing to do on Sunday mornings, and showered Lily, fed her breakfast, and got the church bag ready. He left the hair styling to me, since that kid has crazy hair, but it gave me plenty of time to get ready myself. He then took her to priesthood meeting with him. He really is a great dad and Lily sure does love him.
2-Warm running water: I love taking showers. It wakes me up and gets me going. I have had a goal the last week to get in the shower right when I get up, and it has helped me get more done.
3-Contact lenses: I have worn glasses since I was the 1st grade, so I have dealt with the hassles of fogging up, rain splashing, babies grabbing, slipping, no peripheral vision, etc. It is amazing how two little pieces of plastic eliminates all those hassles, and makes it possible for me to see. Now, it would be better if I didn't have to use them at all, but they are definitely a step up from the glasses.
4-Cars: I like driving, as long as it is good weather. I don't do rain or snow, but I love the freedom of going where I want much more quickly and easily than on my own two feet.
5-Music: It really can soothe the savage beast. Lily can calm down so fast when we play music for her. The last few days, we have been playing Herb Alpert for her, and she can go from screaming to kicking her legs and bobbing her head in just a few seconds.

No comments: